TroopTrack Best Practices
Post date: Oct 3, 2014 12:58:03 PM
With the update that TroopTrack made in September 2014, they introduced some security enhancements. These enhancements resulted in what may be considered limitations in how we used to use TroopTrack.
Therefore, I would like to inform everyone of the following constraints, work arounds, and best practices when using the calendar or messaging within TroopTrack:
- Images are not possible for the time being.
- Large amounts of text will not be possible.
- You will find at times that it will not support certain characters (like Arabic or other non-standard "American" keyboard characters).
Work Arounds/Best Practices
- First and foremost, if you have any technical issues using TroopTrack, please contact me if you have technical issues. I have 20 years experience in Internet technologies. I have my own web hosting business since 1996 and support customers around the world. So I am sure I can help you.
- If you have a Gmail account, I can provide you with access to posting to the website. Use the Unit website to post detailed information.
- Please ensure that you have all of you program entered as events into TroopTrack. This applies to every level:
- Holidays (School/Islamic)
- Event types are color coded automatically and standardized across all of our programs. So please use the appropriate event type and do not select a custom color. If you believe you don't find an appropriate event type in the planning calendar, alert me so I can address the situation.
- Become a contributor to our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ICNVTScouting). To make that happen, send me an email letting me know which email address you use for Facebook. I will add you.
- Upload photos of all events into photo albums.
- Use the events capabilities.
- If you don't know how to use or can't seem to do something, contact me.
- Always send emails through TroopTrack Quick Message to your Den/Patrol, Troop/Pack. It will ensure that you are reaching everyone because we are always updating TroopTrack with the most accurate contact information. The information you have may become dated/inaccurate.
- If you can't see the people you need to communicate with, please contact me.
- All messages to Scouts ALWAYS copies the parents so you need only send to Scouts.
- Place your unit in the subject line to ensure folks can readily identify the email. For example:
- Pack 114 (Bear Den):
- Pack 114:
- Troop 114:
- Troop 114 (Wizards):
Always provide feedback. Everything is still being polished and after all, we are all volunteers and have only a finite amount of time. So there will often be areas that need polishing. We do our best and use the "Rocks, Pebbles, Sand" approach to prioritizing.
Yours in Scouting,
Abdul “Rashid” Abdullah
Chartered Organization Representative for Pack, Troop, and Crew 114
Committee Chair, National Capital Area Council Islamic Committee on Scouting
Committee Chair, Northeast Region, National Islamic Committee on Scouting
I used to be an Antelope...
Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.
Click on a logo to learn more about that program.